1. Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add theolive oil. When the pot is heated, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cookuntil the onion is translucent. Turn off the Instant Pot.
2. Add the chicken broth and water. Using aspatula, scrape off any stuck-on onion or garlic bits from the bottom of theInstant Pot.
3. Add the beans and season with chili powder,cumin, oregano, and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set toPressure Cook for 45 minutes. Do a natural release when the cook time is over.
5. After the pressure has been released, remove thelid and carefully drain the beans, reserving some of the liquid. Add the beansback to the Instant Pot and pour in ½ to ¾ cup reserved liquid. Using a potatomasher or immersion blender, mash the beans until they are smooth, adding moreliquid if needed.
I included an extra amount of time to account for the time it takes the Instant Pot to come up to pressure and included time for the natural release.